[geeks] OSX Server

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Mar 17 22:35:29 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > 24MB for a mixer applet?!?  Good god.  That is just fucking beyond absurd.
>
> True, true.
>
> A lot of it is because the applet system is not accessible from an X
> interface alone, or some small "applet library", you have to link in
> just about everything.

Well, just to be fair how much of that size is actually shared? Linux
accounts for a process size using the shared memory too (actually I think
most unixen do).

Still a lot of these frameworks have so much bloat, and are so poorly
coded that you end up with gargantuan code. But I guess the adagio is
always true: You get what you pay for.

Although this is also pandemic to Windows too, create a small VisualC
anything and you end up linking with everything plus the sink and kitchen
brush. Same for OS-X, even small applets end up with some ridiculous sizes
(although most of the time, I humour myself by seeing their virtual mem
request footprint)

The price of progress I guess :)