[geeks] Disk images

Atom rescue at port11.net
Tue Mar 15 15:56:31 CST 2005

Michael Kaegler wrote:

> At 4:15 PM -0500 3/15/05, Atom wrote:
>
>> They don't have anything besides serial and pcmcia and a floppy
>> drive. So I will need to build a linux distro that fits on one floppy
>> and have drivers for 10/100 pcmcia nic and wifi.
>

> Might they netboot?

I am going to see if I can do something like that.

>> Wifi so the police cruiser can just drive into the dock, slap a card
>> in there and off goes the image (without having to actually remove
>> the machine from the trunk). Or I might just pull cat5 cables into
>> the docks with 10/100 nic's.
>

> 5gb over wifi sounds painful. Thats 4mbit/sec on 802.11b assuming only
> 1 client. How much data would you have to pull off these machines/put
> on these machines? Depending on the type of data, you might want to
> only use wired (for sensitive stuff)... or only use wireless (for
> records). As I understand it, there are a lot of special needs for the
> law enforcement community. Things need to be tamper-evident/tamper
> resistant to the nth degree for the benefit of the courts just being
> one of those requirements.
>
> For today's humor section... I have known a few people who are either
> in law enforcement or work with law enforcement. More than one of them
> have remarked that one of the biggest problems in equipping law
> enforcement is the amount of loss. That's loss as in theft.
> -mKaegler

Yeah just guess why we BOLT the units into the trunk. And of course
laptop's are a no-go cause if we would put those in about 3 month later
50% would be on ebay.

Wifi is fine but might be painfull timewise.
using just the 128bit wep encryption will be fine. The system that we
are using right now is just a "Norton Ghost" server and an access point.
Not connected to anything else.

The only data that could be sniffed in the case somebody breaks the wep
key is just a standard OS installation. No passwords or anything
sensitive. Right now all the units do is CAD and NCIC/WALS lookups. And
for NCIC/WALS lookups every cop has it's own encryption key that changes
every 90 days and is not stored on the computer.

I guess for the "big" install we will go with 10/100 wired stuff but for
the small "drive in, i broke my computer again" fixes wifi probably.