[geeks] Disk images

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:31:55 CST 2005

At 4:15 PM -0500 3/15/05, Atom wrote:
>They don't have anything besides serial and pcmcia and a floppy
>drive. So I will need to build a linux distro that fits on one
>floppy and have drivers for 10/100 pcmcia nic and wifi.

Might they netboot?

>Wifi so the police cruiser can just drive into the dock, slap a card
>in there and off goes the image (without having to actually remove
>the machine from the trunk). Or I might just pull cat5 cables into
>the docks with 10/100 nic's.

5gb over wifi sounds painful. Thats 4mbit/sec on 802.11b assuming
only 1 client. How much data would you have to pull off these
machines/put on these machines? Depending on the type of data, you
might want to only use wired (for sensitive stuff)... or only use
wireless (for records). As I understand it, there are a lot of
special needs for the law enforcement community. Things need to be
tamper-evident/tamper resistant to the nth degree for the benefit of
the courts just being one of those requirements.

For today's humor section... I have known a few people who are either
in law enforcement or work with law enforcement. More than one of
them have remarked that one of the biggest problems in equipping law
enforcement is the amount of loss. That's loss as in theft.
-mKaegler

--

  Michael "Porkchop" Kaegler, Network Analyst, 845 575 3061
  Marist College,  3399 North Road,  Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Last week a cop stopped me in my car.  He asked me if I had
a police record. I said, no, but I have the new DEVO album.