[geeks] OSX Server

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 14 10:45:29 CST 2005

On Mon, March 14, 2005 10:54, sammy ominsky said:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm getting my powerbook back today, and assuming it'll be wiped clean,
> I was thinking of installing OS X Panther Server on it just to play
> with.

Be *VERY* carfeul with that.  OS X Server does not contain any
power-saving utilities, or any throttling capability, so theres a very
good chance your Powerbook could roast if you do that.

> Has anyone here used it enough to tell me if it'll make a decent
> workstation (laptop in this case!) OS?  or is there too much
> difference?  Missing applications, etc...?

There's not too much difference.  There's the missing power stuff, but
Server also contains a bunch of other stuff, like QT Streaming Server,
apache and postfix, as well as OpenDirectory stuff that makes admining a
workgroup fairly easy.  However, it does not have stuff like iMovie,
iTunes or other stuff included in the base install (IIRC, anyway).

Like I said, be very careful.  In fact, I strongly suggest you find a
Sawtooth or a B&W to install Server on if you want to play.  Your
Powerbook could very well end up roached if you use Server on it.

--
Kurt Huhn        "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"
kurt at k-huhn.com         -- Patches O'Houlihan