[geeks] Wireless PC Cards - possible?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Mar 11 01:22:31 CST 2005

I've acquired for free a Compaq LTE 5150 laptop (100MHz Pentium, heh) and docking station. I'd like to take it wireless, but I've read that this machine can't handle the CardBus PCMCIA cards, and requires PC Card PCMCIA cards... the way I understand it, PC Card was first, and CardBus was a later standard that was more like PCI.

I've seen conflicting reports on the web. Reports of people turning these things into wireless access points, as well as reports stating that there is no wireless card that will work in this machine. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Anyone gone wireless in a non-CardBus laptop, or researched it and found it to be impossible?

Thanks for any help.

 - Micah