[geeks] Dynamic DNS linux update client

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Mar 1 15:55:13 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:22:08PM -0700, Dan Duncan wrote:
>> From: Matthew Poertner <mpoertner at gmail.com>
>>> Anyone here use the Dynamic DNS service through dyndns.org and
>>> update the IP address with a linux client?
>
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Nope, my Linksys appliance (WRT54GS *unmodified*) handles those
>> duties for me, it's a bit limiting (not all settings are maintained,
>> IIRC), but it gets the job done for me...
>
> Are you using Custom DNS or their standard Dynamic DNS?  With my
> Netgear RT311 there was a hack to make the dyndns client support
> Custom DNS, but I haven't figured out how to do that in the WRT54G so
> I'm using ipcheck.py and/or ddclient with web IP detection because I
> can't get either one to query the WRT54G for the WAN IP.

I'm using zoneedit.com, a free dyndns service.  I signed up for them
back when I was using a P75 & smoothwall linux as my firewall.  I
decided a WRT45G would be a lower-power drain, plus wireless! =)

The flash image that Linksys provides did not have zoneedit support, but
the Sveasoft images do.

> Also, if someone could send me the release version of the Sveasoft
> firmware, I'd appreciate it.

The release versions should be freely available, it's the beta's that
require the pay-for subscription.  You may need to sign up for an
account first.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org