[geeks] Home router/firewall

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Mar 1 10:46:44 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:15:25AM -0500, Atom wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:55:29AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>>

>>> I'm in the market for a new firewall/router for the house.  I'd like
>>> one that offers wireless so I can take advantage of the airport card in
>>> my PowerBook, and of course at some point I need to SSH tunnel through
>>> it to my network at home.  Cost under $100.
>>> Recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?
>>>

>> Linksys WRT54G, with the Sveasoft (www.sveasoft.com) firmware.

I'll second Bill's recommendation of the WRT54G + Sveasoft firmware.

Been running it for about 6 months, no problems.  Love it.

<snip>

> My WRT54G with Svaesoft firmware kept dieing on me. Actually the
> router was working fine just the dhcp server stopped working. I reset
> it to factory default and reloaded the firmware a bunch of times until
> I gave up and gave it away. Also my powerbook with airport card did
> keep loosing it's signal and I have to powercycle the wrt54g. This is
> the 802.11b airport card and not the g one.

The only Apple hardware I have is too old for modern wireless stuff (Mac
Plus). ;)

I don't use the DHCP server in the router, I've been running a DHCP
server on my Linux box for years, didn't feel like changing it when I
went wireless.

Using the latest Sveasoft firmware, you get QoS, VLANs, SNMP,
port-forwarding, ssh(d), plus more features I'm forgetting, check their
website for the full list.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org