[geeks] Home router/firewall (Linksys lockups)

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Mar 1 08:46:18 CST 2005

Most Linksys routers (and even some dumb hubs) seem to "lock up"
and have to be power cycled every so often.  I (as have
others) have observed this behavior under various conditions with
various pieces of Linksys hardware.

Does this firmware fix those types of issues as well?

/KRM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:05:04 -0600
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:55:29AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> > I'm in the market for a new firewall/router for the house.
> > I'd like  one that offers wireless so I can take advantage of
> > the airport card in  my PowerBook, and of course at some
> > point I need to SSH tunnel through  it to my network at home.
> >  Cost under $100.
> > Recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?
>
> Linksys WRT54G, with the Sveasoft (www.sveasoft.com) firmware.
>
> Some people here don't like James (Sveasoft) because of his
> licensing terms for his firmware (Released firmware is free,
> but if you want access to  prerelease/development versions, its
> $20/year).
>
> I stay out of the licensing arguments, paid my $20, and this
> little embedded  Linux box with custom firmware is the best
> "home router" I've ever used.   Wireless (b & g), QoS (so
> BitTorrent and FTP doesn't kill my SSH sessions),  etc..  I
> like it so much that I'm considering buying another in case
> Linksys/ Cisco discontinues the model.
>
> WRT54G should be $50-65 online, access to the current
> prerelease Sveasoft firmware is $20/year, or you can download
> the Satori (4.x) version for free.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> bill bradford
> houston, texas

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/