[geeks] Home router/firewall

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Mar 1 10:05:04 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:55:29AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new firewall/router for the house.  I'd like
> one that offers wireless so I can take advantage of the airport card in
> my PowerBook, and of course at some point I need to SSH tunnel through
> it to my network at home.  Cost under $100.
> Recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?

Linksys WRT54G, with the Sveasoft (www.sveasoft.com) firmware.

Some people here don't like James (Sveasoft) because of his licensing terms
for his firmware (Released firmware is free, but if you want access to
prerelease/development versions, its $20/year).

I stay out of the licensing arguments, paid my $20, and this little embedded
Linux box with custom firmware is the best "home router" I've ever used.
Wireless (b & g), QoS (so BitTorrent and FTP doesn't kill my SSH sessions),
etc..  I like it so much that I'm considering buying another in case Linksys/
Cisco discontinues the model.

WRT54G should be $50-65 online, access to the current prerelease Sveasoft
firmware is $20/year, or you can download the Satori (4.x) version for free.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas