[geeks] gmail from pocket outlook?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:50:12 CDT 2005

Alright, you cant send attachments with pocket IE, so I figured I'd
use gmail's pop and smtp service (this is on a Verizon vx6600 aka
Audiovox 6600 with wireless data service etc).

I've set up a new account, and enabled the authentication and ssl
checkboxes. I can receive email all day, but I cannot send. It
complains "the message could not be sent. Check that you have network
coverage etc...". At the same time I have vxutil and can ping. I can
open IE and browse the web. so I do have connectivity. I did also set
up to only download headers (but with the limit per email at 999K to
force a full download - if you dont do that and do a normal full
download, emails randomly disapear. Thinking this is a gmail bug).

Some have suggested that you can only send thru the wireless sync
(running outlook on a PC). Surely that cant be the only way, that
would be extremely stupid and would automatically eliminate using such
a device with a Mac or Sun workstation.

I've tried all the combinations on configs on pdaphonehome.com and it
seems several have a similar issue, no clear solution tough. Some
suggest using the verizon smtp, but since there is only one
user/password setting in pocket outlook (under pop3 which is reused by
smtp), there is no way to use my gmail account to receive and verizon
to send...

Any suggestion?

Francois