[geeks] Appropos of nothing...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:26:34 CDT 2005

On 6/27/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Mon, 27 Jun 2005 @ 16:56 -0400, Nadine said:
>
> > I really like *nix.
> >
> > Even though it would take me at least a day to figure out the code to
> > do this myself--regex is not my forte-- in about 1 hour I managed to:
>
> [snip]
>
> You just pointed out things which are pure hell in the Windows world.
>
> Even simple things like identifying a file are annoying under Windows.
>
> There are virtually no "discovery" tools at all.
>
> In fact, there really aren't many tools on a base Windows install,
> period.

No arguments there.  Which is why my PC is basically
a game box since I bought my Powerbook.  Even with
Cygwin installed so I can do stuff like "find" or "scp" at
the CLI on the PC, that's just a kludge.  (It is pretty cool
that you can run rxvt on Cygwin without X running,
though.)

I know I could install a *nix on it, but I think trying to
configure wine for most of the games I play (read: not
popular first person shooters) would be more trouble
than it's worth, imo

=Nadine=