[geeks] DNS: CN & A records

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 17:44:10 CDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:27:09 -0400, velociraptor wrote:
> I'd venture at the last few places I've worked, less than 1/2 of
> the DNS entries had reverses *at all*.

I hope I've got a little more than 1/2 entered; I'm sure I've got PTRs
for all the servers done. PCs are a problem though ... the DHCP server
doesn't always do the right thing, and there's some dusty corners ...
innevitable when your zone files are 13 years old and cover a /16.

It always amuses me when I see an ISP without PTRs though ... I can sort
of see why a small company might lack them, but a large ISP ?

> Yes, probably that many reverses would be a problem as well.

I've never seen it, but I gather it is badly written applications that
have problems with large numbers of PTR records. BIND certainly doesn't
worry.