[geeks] DNS: CN & A records

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 24 16:28:00 CDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, velociraptor wrote:

> I am a bit of a hard-a$$ about this too (at least for internal
> DNS), there are some apps that don't work if there is no
> reverse.  Most people have never been bit by that kinda
> thing, so they ignore it.

At $ork we have an application that bombs[0] if reverses are present.

Yes, you read that right.

Naturally, my answer as "file a bug!"

Naturally, $ork's response is "pull out those PTR records, we never
needed them before!"

Five minutes later... "Hey, why does it take 5 minutes to log into any
of the Unix boxes now; I thought you fixed that!"

/me quickly tries to lower blood pressure.  "I'm still on vacation.  I'm
still on vacation.  I'm still on vacation..."

[0] It ASSumes that NetBIOS[1] names and DNS names are always
     identical[2].  So, when given a range of IP addresses[2], it looks
     up the names in DNS, and then makes a NetBIOS connection to
     \\whatever.  Never mind that it already KNOWS THE IP ADDRESS TO
     CONNECT TO, and can, therefore, do it directly without having to ask
     NetBIOS who's-this-then.
[1] Thank you, IBM.  Plz 2 rot in hell for that abomination, kthx.
[2] Which is generally true, if you're not running a mixed-mode Windows
     2000 network.
[3] It's a mass-update tool for some piece of software $ork runs.
--
Jonathan Patschke ) "Beatniks and politics, nothing is new.
Elgin, TX        (   A yardstick for lunatics: one point of view."