[geeks] Old Powerbooks available

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:50:27 CDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com> wrote:
> > For $300 you should be able to find a used iBook--I paid $250 for
> > a 500Mhz (1st Gen) w/CD-RW, 10GB, and Airport.  The only real
> > downsides were the iffy battery and stock (128MB of RAM).
>
> There's at least one person on this list who has dissected several
> batteries and replaced dodgy cells.  Not too terribly hard, except that
> finding good LiIon cells for a good price is near impossible.  I'm happy
> to do rebuilds for folks, if you source the cells.

I've done it with NiMH for older PB's.  I will probably do it for this
box if I can find the cells.  I can't see investing the further money
for a new OEM/3rd party battery for it.  Before that, though, I need
to reset the PMU, which I have not done yet.  So that's step 0.

My first step is a HD upgrade (on the way).  I am hoping that it
will make a 384MB total bearable, as the price point between
256MB and 512MB is pretty dramatic even on an older machine
like this.

=Nadine=