[geeks] LCD display options

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 25 10:49:45 CST 2005

velociraptor wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:36:57 -0500, Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:
>> I'm lookingto get a couple LCD monitors fairly soon here to replace a
>> couple failing CRTs.  I need 17" at a minimum.  Any suggestions?
>> Budget is limited to under $300 each.
>
> If you are planning on any gaming at all on these, pay attention to
> pixel refresh rate and go for the lowest you can afford.  You will likely
> have to search for that on-line; few of the boxes/signs on products in
> stores have this listed in my experience.

Also, sometimes the speed is listed in error.

For example, ViewSonic has a nice 19" LCD for just over $400, and the
box says 25ms, but the monitor is actually 16ms.

At 16ms, most games won't show any side effects.  Personally, I can tell
if it is any slower.

I still don't really like the look of an LCD monitor.  The colors just
don't look right, and I have a hard time doing color
adjustment/calibration on them.

Their saving grace of course is contrast and clarity, and far less
weight and power.

Another thing I wonder about is long-term.  Do they gradually get bad
pixels, get dim, lose contrast, or just fail suddenly?