[geeks] LCD display options

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Wed Feb 23 21:10:06 CST 2005

jdboyd at jdboyd.net writes:

>On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:02:57PM -0500, Dave Fischer wrote:

>> I recently replaced my main terminal, a 19" 1280x1024 black & white
>> NCD x-terminal, with a sparc-5 with a greyscale monitor. Partially,
>> I wanted those extra 7 bits, but mostly I wanted more recent X server
>> software than what's available for an early 90s commercial x-terminal...

>You mean an actual grey scale monitor?  With a 24bit card, or an 8bit
>card?  Did you lock the color map to greyscale?

>What I've wanted to investigate is a psuedo 24 bit grayscale X server.
>The Xserver says it is 24bit, but it renders the 24bit color out to
>greyscale.  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to make a 256color-mapped
>display behave nicely.

I'm using an 8-bit card (TGX+). The color map thing is extremely
annoying, and I've been thinking about switching over to a 24 bit
card as well.

("Staticgrey" should do it, by my half-hearted attempts haven't
made it work yet.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------