[geeks] LCD display options

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Feb 23 20:16:21 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:02:57PM -0500, Dave Fischer wrote:

> I recently replaced my main terminal, a 19" 1280x1024 black & white
> NCD x-terminal, with a sparc-5 with a greyscale monitor. Partially,
> I wanted those extra 7 bits, but mostly I wanted more recent X server
> software than what's available for an early 90s commercial x-terminal...

You mean an actual grey scale monitor?  With a 24bit card, or an 8bit
card?  Did you lock the color map to greyscale?

What I've wanted to investigate is a psuedo 24 bit grayscale X server.
The Xserver says it is 24bit, but it renders the 24bit color out to
greyscale.  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to make a 256color-mapped
display behave nicely.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net