[geeks] Typography Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 23 18:22:58 CST 2005

Technical manuals of the 1950s and 1960s have a very stately appearance
to them.  Obviously I'm not the only person who's noticed this, as Knuth
created TeX to preserve that look for his books.

However, there's one thing missing from the TeX distributions, the 1950s
fonts!

There was a post on rescue@ about the IBM 704, which led me to Google
for more information on it because old IBM computers interest me.  I ran
across this (warning: IBM pr0n):

   http://www.cs.virginia.edu/brochure/images/manuals/IBM_704/IBM_704.html

The sans-serif lettering at the top of the pages (and in the subtitle of
the cover) is -gorgeous-.  The small, narrow-pitched typeface used in
the copyright notice -looks- like it's supposed to accompany a $xxx,xxx
computer.  The italics are really nice, too.

I dunno.  Computer Modern is an okay typeface, but next to stuff like
this, it's a cheap parlour trick.

Does any one know of a source for lookalikes of these older typefaces?

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."