[geeks] LCD display options

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 23 12:10:44 CST 2005

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:45:20AM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>The downside is, unlike a CRT where addressable resolution is variable,
>>an LCD has a fixed physical resolution, which means that LCD displays
>>tend to look bad unless being driven exactly *at* their native physical
>>resolution -- a 1280x1024 LCD being driven at 1024x768, for example,
>>will look much less sharp than a 1024x768 LCD the same size also driven
>>at 1024x768.
>
> I am aware of that.  However, for the most part it doesn't bother me.
> Why would I want to drive the screen at less than optimal?
>
> The only major time when I would want to do that would be if I were to
> hook a video source to the display.  And that is why I haven't been
> leaping to replace my 17" CRT that I use for displaying DVDs and video
> game consoles.

Very true.  This is why I intend to replace babylon5's Sun 90D10 with an
LCD when it dies, since I basically use it 90% for text and only ever at
1920x1200 anyway.  If I can get the same resolution with a quarter the
weight and power dissipation, and no geometry drift or RGB alignment
issues, great!
On the other hand, vorlon's monitor is likely to remain a CRT at least
until all my currently-owned 20" CRTs die, including the
brand-new-in-box Sun GDM-5410 I just acquired, because vorlon is my
gamebox, and I want it to both respond instantly and be pin-sharp at a
wide range of resolutions.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net