[geeks] Adobe's Software Activation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 21 23:06:38 CST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> No, it's not BS.
>
> Yes, they are writing stuff to the MBR.
>
> No, they aren't the first (someone else mentioned Intuit).

At what point are PC users going to stand up and say "MY COMPUTER!  Not
yours!  Mine!" and tell these corporations where to stick that crap?

If ANY application software on ANY other platform decided it needed to
write to the disklabel or VTOC or other system areas of the computer's
startup drive, just in order to make sure you don't copy the software,
no one would stand up for it.  It just doesn't happen.  Even with
nearly-a-million-dollar-a-year software like SAS and Oracle, You Just
Don't Do That.

And some PC crapware vendor peddling $800 picture-drawing software
thinks he should?

Incredible.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."