[geeks] call for help (fwd)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 17 13:49:10 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Dan Duncan wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to try to help his mother get her domain back.

Me, too, but since it belongs to a customer of hers, she can't really
make them giev her something that wasn't hers to begin with.  Also,
since that customer really isn't that technically savvy, they're always
going to see this as her being incompetent, instead of the domain
registration system failing her.

Most likely, even if the customer gets the domain back, Dave's mom will
lose their business, which is really unfortunate because she really
works hard to keep them happy.

> Rather than moving away from GoDaddy, perhaps if we had the domain name
> those of you who are GoDaddy customers could make a few very concerned
> inquiries about how GoDaddy let this happen and express our concern that
> this might happen to us, and threaten to leave rather than simply leaving.

Well, I have a really good hunch of what that domain name is, and the
WHOIS database confirms that hunch.  I don't feel like mentioning what
the domain name is because 1) Dave hasn't specifically given its name to
me, and 2) that company has a lot of local visibility and probably
doesn't want their name drug into all this.  Like I said, they're not
the most technically-savvy people in the world, so they see this as a
bunch of lazy techies not doing their jobs, rather than theft of their
intellectual property.

> Perhaps that might both fix the policy AND get the domain back.

We can only hope.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."