[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 17:24:01 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:13:37 -0600 (CST), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > With any luck they'll even spin that stuff off into a separate
> > company and we can have DEC back :)
>
> Or maybe they'll sell it to IBM.  IBM certainly knows how to keep
> customers of Stuff That Works (AIX, OS/390, zOS, OS/400, etc.) happy.

AIX works? That's good, as I seem to be encountering endless niggles at
the moment. Probably just that I'm new to it.

> HP killing the 3000 line made as much sense as it would make for IBM
> to kill OS/400--on the surface, a lot.  But happy customers keep IBM
> fed, and if customers want to pay to run OS/400, let them.

That's what I can't understand ... some companies seem happy to kill off
a product that's still making money. Why do that even if there's more
profitable products ? It's still profit!

> Then maybe IBM would port OpenVMS to the p5 systems.  -THAT- would be
> the best of both worlds.

Well, I'd give it 0.1 of a CPU (I seem to be running out of 1/10 to
allocate on my p5-550).