[geeks] UltraSPARC II 450 in an U2 - Summary

Olaf Mersmann olafm at kimberly.tako.de
Tue Feb 8 10:58:06 CST 2005

Olaf Mersmann wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I know it is not officially supported, but does anyone know if the
> UltraSPARC II 450MHz (Sun part: 501-6071) will run in an Ultra 2? I have
> a spare one out of an Ultra 60 but am kinda affraid to just try it out.
> Anyone have any insight as to why this could/could not work?

Lionel responded, telling me, he thought it wouldn't work since he too
couldn't find anything about it on the net - Thanks for the response!

So, since I was kinda bored and looking for anything to keep me from
studying for my exams, I tried it anyway. Net result: The machine
doesn't start up. It doesn't even show the OBP. The CPU is still ok
after this experiment, so electrically they seem to be compatible.

Anyway, if anyone else thought about upgrading his/her U2 with faster
processores. It doesn't work.

Just thought I'd share...

-- Olaf