[geeks] wire my house!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Dec 21 17:24:11 CST 2005

Sandwich Maker serves up ...

> i'm finally going to go dsl.
[snip]
> i want to thread the wires up the interior wall alongside the phone
> wiring.  major difficulty there is the upstairs wall isn't right over
> the downstairs one, so i need to cut into the kitchen wall just under
> the ceiling to drill horizontal connecting access.  if i can actually
> accomplish this, it'll be the cleanest, but am i wasting my time
> trying?  afaict they're offset about a foot.

The easy way, in many cases, is to run the wire up a pipe chase, or just
beside a pipe, from the basement to the attic, then drop it down from there.
Really, you drop it from the attic _down_ the pipe chase; gravity is your
friend.

Burglar alarm companies are geniuses at this sort of thing, and they have
long, flexible drills that are Just Right for putting in wire without
disrupting the sheetrock.

Or go wireless ....

-Shel