[geeks] personal laser printer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Dec 17 11:48:52 CST 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:33:32PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> I just bought a Dell-branded Laser printer which supposedly works under
> Linux, but my brother tells me I have made a fatal mistake -- apparently
> the printer is actually a Lexmark printer and his organization has already
> been down the road of needing to print and it not accepting the
> Lexmark-brand toner carts but it does accept the Dell-branded one. Looks
> like Gilette's sales strategy is alive and well still.

This is a well known problem with Lexmark printers. An OEM catridge
manufaturer was sued under the DMCA for reverse enginering the ID ROMs
by Lexmark and lost.

In the E.U. however, it will be illegal to sell printers that do not
allow OEM supplies of any kind by 2008.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.