[geeks] personal laser printer

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Dec 17 11:33:32 CST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I am looking for a decent personal laser printer.
> It must work with UNIX of course.
> Any pointers or personal experiences appreciated.

I currently use a HP Laserjet 3 which I got for either free, $30, or $50
and I don't remember which it was. After I recieved the printer, along
with an HP LJ1, I took them down to the local printer shop and paid them
$250 to outfit them with new toner cartridges and clean them. Once that
was done I had about a year or three worth of use on the LJ3 and replaced
the toner cart with one I bought off of eBay (couldn't afford to buy the
$55 toner cart locally). Big mistake. The one I got off of eBay was
apparently damaged in shipping or something and produces interesting
results -- line duplication and image duplication. This cart will *NEVER*
work for the DoD. But when I need to print something but don't need it
resume quality, it works fine. Naturally, the graphics capability is
rather limited -- you'll want something that does at least 1200 dpi or so.
I think my printer is either 300 or 600 dpi; which ever, it's not the
best for maps (except those rough ones Mapquest provides in 320x240
windows).

Were I you, I'd be looking at surplus commercial printers, and watch out
that the printer uses seperate toner cartidges for black and the colors
and that it doesn't make black out of all the colors. The latter is
absolute murder on the pocket book.

I just bought a Dell-branded Laser printer which supposedly works under
Linux, but my brother tells me I have made a fatal mistake -- apparently
the printer is actually a Lexmark printer and his organization has already
been down the road of needing to print and it not accepting the
Lexmark-brand toner carts but it does accept the Dell-branded one. Looks
like Gilette's sales strategy is alive and well still.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR <kris at catonic.net>
                       "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"