[geeks] personal laser printer

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Dec 16 12:52:29 CST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I am looking for a decent personal laser printer.
>
> It must work with UNIX of course.

I'm exceedingly happy with my HP LaserJet 5M.  It has fine resolution
(600x600) for its age, can take a large amount of memory in the form of
72-pin parity SIMMs, and can be fitted with multiple cassettes and a
duplexer.  The toner cartridges are a bit spendy, but I've only needed
to buy one so far.

Since getting it, it has only developed two minor problems:
   1) One of the plastic gears near the output bin needs to either be
      replaced or put back into alignment, as the last sheet of paper
      from any one job doesn't fully eject sometimes.
   2) It smells faintly of ozone or hot plastic when it warms up, so I
      suspect there's toner that needs to be cleaned out of places that
      toner shouldn't go.

Aside from that, though, it's quiet, fast, and reliable.  It might be a
little large for "personal" use, but I haven't found many small printers
that are reliable enough to be useful.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Buy the best there is, because it's sorry enough."
Elgin, TX         (                                      --Henry Zuehlke