[geeks] personal laser printer

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Dec 16 10:30:08 CST 2005

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:10, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a decent personal laser printer.
>>
>>It must work with UNIX of course.
>>
>>I see a lot of them which say the text is excellent but the graphics are
>>not, like the HP 1160, the Samsung 20xx, and so on.
>>
>>Does anyone here have one of the personal laser printers, who can
>>comment on exactly what "mediocre graphics" really means?
>

> If you can find a used HP LaserJet 5L or 6L, that might be a very sane choice.  They are quiet, compact, and low-power.  They are PCL-only, IIRC, so you would need to run one of the filters that converts text and PS into PCL.

The problem with any used laser is that over the years, about 50% of
those I pick up are pretty badly borked, even if they look nice.

A lot of them are simply dirty inside, but even that requires a lot of
careful disassembly and cleaning.

I have a DEClaser 3500 (that I had to disassemble and clean to make
work) and toner is hard to find, and it is big.