[geeks] personal laser printer

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:33:50 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a decent personal laser printer.
>
> It must work with UNIX of course.
>
> I see a lot of them which say the text is excellent but the graphics are
> not, like the HP 1160, the Samsung 20xx, and so on.

I have a Samsung SCX-4100 (scanner, copier, laser).  It takes about
10 sec. to warm up, which is one of the highpoints to me, as I leave it
off unless printing.

The closest thing that I've gotten to "graphics" is printing out directions
with maps, and they seemed ok to me.  What kind of graphics would
you be printing in B&W?

The SCX-4100 has a driver available for OS X (i.e. CUPS), but you'll
have to google to find it, as it's not on the Samsung site, last I
checked; it might be at the Linux printing site.

After a rebate on the $119, it was $89, iirc.

I don't print that much stuff, but have absolutely hated every inkjet
I've used.  98+% of what I print is text--if I want color, I'll hop down
to Kinkos and use a real color printer.

=Nadine=