[geeks] personal laser printer

Jay Monkman jtm-geeks at smoothsmoothie.com
Thu Dec 15 20:23:45 CST 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I am looking for a decent personal laser printer.
>
> It must work with UNIX of course.

I've got a Samsung ML-2151N that I'm very happy with.

It's got ethernet so you can access it from multiple computers easily. There's
also a wireless variant, I believe.

It will print both sides of a page. The paper tray holds a little more than a
ream of paper, so I don't have partial reams laying around.

Setting up Debian for it was easy. CUPS has no trouble talking to it. I think it
understand LPD as well. It seemed to me that setting up a Windows machine was
harder than for Linux.

I've had had it two years, and printed almost 17,000 pages. It's jammed on me
once or twice. For some reason it's jammed on my wife 5-10 times, although I
easily print 10x more than her. Maybe it's because she uses Windows and I use Linux?

The printer was about $450 and the toner cartriges are about $130. The toner
cartiges are good for 4000-5000 pages.

It's probably the least problematic printer I've ever used.