[geeks] I. Don't. Get. It.

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Dec 7 19:44:40 CST 2005

Saith ... Jonathan C. Patschke
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > [JCP wrote]
> >> According to the Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0's "More Reasons
> >> to Upgrade":
> >>
> >>    * View 3D content, Macromedia(R) Flash(R) (SWF) animations, and
> >>      Windows Media clips in your Adobe PDF documents.
> >>
> >> Why the hell would I want to?
> >
> > Because some dim-wit PowerPoint addict is going to send you
> > something with that crap in it?
>
> Yes, but previously this was not possible.  Adobe must've added this
> misfeature to the content-creation side of the PDF suite, and
> this level of shite is singularly unacceptable.  There's simply
> NO CAUSE for it.

Of course.  But didn't one of Bob Dylan's songs contain the immortal line
... "She just knows what you need.  I know what you want."

> It was bad-enough when they added JavaScript to it a few
> versions back,
> but "3D" animations, Flash, and Windows Media files?  Someone
> deserves a punch in the nose over that.

The line forms over there ... the end's 'round the corner.

> I just cannot imagine how this can be useful-enough[0] to justify how
> annoying this is going to get[1].  It's too bad there's no
> way a boycott would work.
>
> Oh well; there's still PostScript.
>
> [0] I mean, I can see it being useful: animated maintenance
> instructions in service guides.  However, those cease being
> useful when you need to -print- the PDF to take onsite.

You just need some of that magic Harry Potter paper.

> [1] Want to start a "dead pool" on how long it'll be before
> suits and marketroids make our heads explode by means of
> service manuals or datasheets in PDF containing
>                    | PUNCH THE MONKEY AND WIN $20!!! |
> every few paragraphs?

I expect it's already too late even to start the pool.

-Shel