[geeks] I. Don't. Get. It.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Dec 7 19:14:32 CST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

>> According to the Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0's "More Reasons to Upgrade":
>>
>>    * View 3D content, Macromedia(R) Flash(R) (SWF) animations, and
>>      Windows Media clips in your Adobe PDF documents.
>>
>> Why the hell would I want to?
>
> Because some dim-wit PowerPoint addict is going to send you something
> with that crap in it?

Yes, but previously this was not possible.  Adobe must've added this
misfeature to the content-creation side of the PDF suite, and this level
of shite is singularly unacceptable.  There's simply NO CAUSE for it.
It was bad-enough when they added JavaScript to it a few versions back,
but "3D" animations, Flash, and Windows Media files?  Someone deserves a
punch in the nose over that.

I just cannot imagine how this can be useful-enough[0] to justify how
annoying this is going to get[1].  It's too bad there's no way a boycott
would work.

Oh well; there's still PostScript.

[0] I mean, I can see it being useful: animated maintenance instructions
     in service guides.  However, those cease being useful when you need
     to -print- the PDF to take onsite.
[1] Want to start a "dead pool" on how long it'll be before suits and
     marketroids make our heads explode by means of service manuals or
     datasheets in PDF containing
                   | PUNCH THE MONKEY AND WIN $20!!! |