[geeks] Firewall recommendation?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Dec 6 15:29:44 CST 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Nate wrote:

> I know how easy to manage BSD is, however we're talking about
> managing another computer system, vs. something more appliance-like.

Unfortunately I haven't finished my OpenBSD minidistribution, yet, or
I'd have something like that for you.

> I'm already spread very thin in terms of what I do at $dayjob, and I'm
> hesitant to add another desktop/server system (with all the parts that
> can fail)

A machine with low-enough power requirements that it can be passively
cooled plus compact-flash storage can help a whole lot.  If all your
inbound connections happen via Ethernet, you can even use something like
a Soekris NET4801.

But if you really want an appliance, I can't recommend anything, as
every one I've used sucks.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Buy the best there is, because it's sorry enough."
Elgin, TX         (                                      --Henry Zuehlke