[geeks] Firewall recommendation?

Nate nate at portents.com
Tue Dec 6 15:16:33 CST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>> Do you guys have favorite firewalls?
>
> Reliable computing hardware running OpenBSD[0].  If you're multihomed
> and use BGP for route-advertising, the software is built right in.  If
> you want to run a pair of firewalls with the capability to cluster
> therm, you can do that, too.  It's easy to manage (it's just BSD), and
> you really can't beat the price.

I know how easy to manage BSD is, however we're talking about
managing another computer system, vs. something more appliance-like.
I'm already spread very thin in terms of what I do at $dayjob, and
I'm hesitant to add another desktop/server system (with all the parts
that can fail) to the mix, when I can perhaps get something with no
moving parts that will do just as well, which is what led me to the
ZyWALL.

- Nate