[geeks] Carbon nanotube buckytape

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 20 12:05:41 CDT 2005

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 @ 23:05 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Brian Dunbar wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >>I don't think they've stated how strong it actually is, except "stronger
> >>than steel weight-for-weight".  Certainly the strength-to-weight ratio
> >>of individual nanotubes is more than adequate for the purpose.
> >
> > I read a summary from a fellow earlier today (but ARGH can't find it
> > now) with the numbers.  If I can find it I'll summarize or post a link.
>
> That'd be greatly appreciated.  Facts are always better than guesswork.

The current issue of IEEE's rag has a special on space elevators, and
gives some details about strength, challenges, etc.

The most promising idea is a 1 meter wide ribbon, less than 1 mil thick.

We are only about 15-25% of the strength we'll eventually need with
current materials, but it seems the problem is the construction of the
ribbons, not the material.  We just haven't learned the best way to do
this.

There are a small number of companies now actively selling nano-fiber
cables for laboratory and industrial use, so it is no longer just
theory.  I suppose we'll start hearing more about how well it is
working in the next few months/years.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]