[geeks] While on the subject of weirdness

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Aug 11 19:00:45 CDT 2005

From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> On 8/7/05, James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:
> > Could you perhaps diagram everything needed to reproduce your "circuit".
> > I think I might be getting the old radio bug back. It might be time for
> > me to play again.
>
> Done. http://www.cimastudios.com/fdion/rocket.html
>
> It's in episode 3. I've also made some progress in that the station I
> was receiving was at 5MHz, so SW, not AM.
>
> I've also made some other interesting recordings with a variation in
> which the copper wire is not touching the aluminium at all. Recording
> VLF basically.
>
> Francois

   Now all you need is a good ground connection and one hell of a lot of
wire in the air (for best reception) and you/ll have fun listening to the
VLF stuff.  Whistlers and the "dawn chorus" are the the best. (Whistlers
are from lightning and the dawn chorus is a bunch of chipping noises that
usually begin at sunrise.)
  I had a student who once worked on a project for the county science fair
where he could track thundarstorms by the RF they produced.  Brought it
all the way to the International Science Fair.  He even continued working
on it while he attended MIT.  Too bad he got seduced by money and went
into sales....

Bob