[geeks] Why Linux and not *BSD?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed Aug 3 08:13:47 CDT 2005

> I don't know, James.  I've used OpenBSD for a wide array of
> functions.  Seems to me that there's an equal amount of
> software and utilities available for it as there is for
> Linux.  I even use it as an alternative to ancient Solaris on
> my SparcBook 3GS, and it's fully useable as a workstation.
> On a reasonably quick system, it's even better.
>
> BSD is "different", there's no argument about that.  However,
> it's not so different that Linux should be beating it out of
> useful functions due to a lack of software.

Then the problem is clear. If someone like myself thinks that BSD
doesn't have a well rounded selection of software then how can we expect
average joes to know. Without a "company" and a marketing budget I don't
know how to get the word out, but it happened for Linux and I'm sure it
could happened for the BSD's.

My only experience with BSD is with "appliances" (F5 3DNS and such). I
liked it and found it to be very fast and stable.