[geeks] Power Computing PowerCenter 132

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Thu Apr 21 18:48:05 CDT 2005

Popping up out of lurk mode,

While at the local thrift shop, I found a typical looking beige box on the shelf. Back was
facing out -
hmm, what's that - SCSI and ADB??? Look closer and it's a old PowerCenter. Pop the hood -
all DIMM
slots full, 2 SCSI Drives and CD-ROM. Find out they want $5.00 for it and run out the door
giggling.
Even if dead the parts are worth more than that for my other macs.

Get home, plug it in and it runs fine. OS 8.1 and 112mb installed. I've got an old Sonnet
266mhz G3
card & an unused copy of 9.1 that I'm thinking of putting in it and then setting it up to
run educational
& game software for my 3 year old son.

Are there any gotchas with this box? About the only thing I can see on the net is
complaints about the
fans (and they are loud). Anyone here with experiances to share?

Thanks,

William