[geeks] my head just went explodey

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Apr 3 19:22:24 CDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 18:01, velociraptor wrote:

> You must be sure and tell us when they have more job openings. :-)

That's a funny thing.  The president of the company hand-picks everyone
who works there.  He never advertises openings, and new employees are
all found by referral.  I have a friend who's been there a while, and
told me he'd been trying to get me in for about 6 months.  One day the
boss said OK and called me.  We talked on the phone for about an hour,
then I came in the next day to meet and he made me an offer.  He never
saw my resume 'till later that night.

Needless to say, it's a very interesting place to work.  I like it a
lot.  I'm managing 9 programmers and 4 graphic designers, and working
enough client billable hours on projects to pay my own salary (about 3
hours a day).  The people he's hired are outstanding, to say the least.
  They're either incredibly brilliant, or put so much effort into what
they do that their work makes them look it.  I haven't figured out
which yet.

It's also a *very* casual distributed environment.  The people who work
in the office are there by choice, and the rest work from their homes
in whatever city they happen to reside.  We're in Baltimore, but three
of my programmers are in Lakewood, NJ, three more in Israel, and one in
NYC.

It feels like a company for geeks created by geeks.  I guess it is, the
president and founder is a Princeton Comp Sci M.Sc.

> ...the tech staff didn't get to interview him either.
> Glad to be shut of that place, WAS or not.

Ugh, sounds like it.  I guess I'm glad I didn't get the job, though I
wasn't so happy about it at the time.

---sambo