[geeks] my head just went explodey

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Apr 3 11:11:59 CDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>> I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris
>> 6.
>> "Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".
>>
>> That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.
>
> Sounds like a good thing you found out they were that clueless now
> rather than after you'd accepted the job :)
>
> At my last job I used to do the resume culling/tech interviews, and
> it's
> scary how many people put things on their resumes like "Solaris 5, 6
> and 7",
> or "Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8", or even "Solaris 5.7, 5.8 and 6"
>
> But it made my life easier - anyone who put something like that got
> culled immediately. (This was for a Solaris admin job, so there's no
> excuse for getting that wrong).  I was a little forgiving of "Solaris
> 2.7"
> given that much of the documentation called it that, but Solaris 6 and
> Solaris 2.8 are too much.

And that's part of what makes constructing a resume so fucking painful.
  Send it to one person, and they think it should be "Solaris 2.6, 7,
8".  Send it to someone else, and they say "why such a gap between
Solaris versions?".  Walking the line between the various keyword
scanners is an exercise in self flagellation, and totally not worth my
time.

Never, EVER dump someone out of hand because of something silly like
that.  That's just shows short-sightedness and an inability to think
beyond keywords.  At that point, you might as well run the required
word doc through a keyword parser and go home.  You're not doing
anything worthwhile anyway.

--
Kurt Huhn         "A rebel I came, and I'll die just the same
kurt at k-huhn.com    On the cold winds of night you will find me"