[geeks] my head just went explodey

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Apr 3 10:20:42 CDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris
>6.
>"Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".
>
>That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.

Sounds like a good thing you found out they were that clueless now
rather than after you'd accepted the job :)

At my last job I used to do the resume culling/tech interviews, and it's
scary how many people put things on their resumes like "Solaris 5, 6 and 7",
or "Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8", or even "Solaris 5.7, 5.8 and 6"

But it made my life easier - anyone who put something like that got
culled immediately. (This was for a Solaris admin job, so there's no
excuse for getting that wrong).  I was a little forgiving of "Solaris 2.7"
given that much of the documentation called it that, but Solaris 6 and
Solaris 2.8 are too much.

My favourite was a guy who did one of those "skill matrix" things, and
gave himself a 9/10 for his "Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8" skills.

  Scott.