[geeks] retro magazine fun

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Nov 18 11:48:26 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 10:26:25PM -0600, Doug McLaren wrote:

<snip>

> Back when computers were *fun*.  (Did computers change, or did I?
> Personally, in this case, I think it's the computers and the computer
> industry in general that did most of the changing.)

Computers still can be fun, I just have to remind myself of that every
once in a while.  It just seems that a lot of us got into computers
professionally because that's what we knew and enjoyed growing up,
eventually, the computers at home started to look like the computers at
work, then using the computers at home became too much like work and
less fun than they were when we were kids.

When it gets that way, I try and dig up old BASIC prorgrams I did on my
C-64 back in the 80s and see if I can make them work in SmallBasic on
my Treo, or yabasic under Windows or Linux.  It's the small things that
help trigger the memories.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org