[geeks] retro magazine fun

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Thu Nov 18 00:08:06 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 10:26:25PM -0600, Doug McLaren wrote:
> Back when computers were *fun*.  (Did computers change, or did I?
> Personally, in this case, I think it's the computers and the computer
> industry in general that did most of the changing.)

I think that is part of the reason I am still drawn to neat, oddball
stuff.  Like planning to use Nextstep or Openstep on SPARC - it is
good to keep the fun...  can you see ANY major OS company shipping a
builtin mail client and calling the audio-recording part (for
embedding voice clips etc. into the email) "Lip Service" ?

Somewhere along the way, maybe 1998-99 or so for me, it seems like
things got less fun and involved more drudgery.

--Patrick