[geeks] christianity and judaism

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Nov 10 14:48:02 CST 2004

On Nov 10, 2004, at 15:09, Michael Horton wrote:

>> That accounting is one of the allusions to an afterlife.  What's the
>> point of an accounting without a reckoning?
>
> there are many others that are "reckoning".  (i have never seen that
> word in the technical literature.)

Huh?

>> No idea what you're talking about here.  Kapara is atonement.
>
> the hebrew word for kippur means covering.  (brown-driver-briggs,
> gesenius [sic])
> this is a different word than atonement.  since the yom kippur
> foreshadows the day of atonement, the idea of atonement is brought into
> the term but never displaces its basic meaning of covering.

You don't actually read or speak Hebrew, do you?  Every Hebrew word has
a root, and many words share roots.  Under close examination, you will
find that words that share roots have connected underlying concepts.  I
have no idea what your reference is, but k-p-r is the root for kapara,
and definitely, without question means atone.

> isaish quoted god as saying "my house shall be called a house of prayer
> for all nations".

Yes, all are welcome, but this doesn't support your claim of a covenant.

> that is a pretty clear that the agreement given to abraham and defined
> by the law is applicable to goyim also.

Not to me.

> but look also at rahab, ruth, naaman, nebuchanezzar (sic), the sailors
> in jonah, ninevah: all gentiles.

Again, I don't see how this supports your claim of a covenant.  Any and
all are welcome to believe and worship, but that doesn't require a
covenant.

> and look at abram/abraham, issac, jacob/israel: they lived before the
> agreement given through moses and cannot be rightly called jews (any
> more than david can be called a christian).

Abraham had the covenant of the pieces (I don't know how else to
translate it). He was called the "Ivri", which has a number of
connotation, one of which could be "hebrew".  There were no "Jews"
until much later, after the Romans called the area Judea, for the
people of the tribe of Judah, who were the majority of the remnant of
Israel left after Sencherib scattered the ten tribes.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep including Nebuchadnezzar in your
list of righteous gentiles?

> and look to zechariah's promise of the goyim joining israel in worship
> of good.
> and look to the psalms: 67: all the nations will worship god

See above.  All are welcome to worship, but that does not constitute a
covenant.

---sambo