[geeks] christianity and judaism

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Wed Nov 10 14:09:20 CST 2004

>That accounting is one of the allusions to an afterlife.  What's the
>point of an accounting without a reckoning?

there are many others that are "reckoning".  (i have never seen that
word in the technical literature.)

enoch
isaiah
elijah
saul and the witch of endor

>> kippur foreshadowed the day of atonement.

>No idea what you're talking about here.  Kapara is atonement.

the hebrew word for kippur means covering.  (brown-driver-briggs,
gesenius [sic])
this is a different word than atonement.  since the yom kippur
foreshadows the day of atonement, the idea of atonement is brought into
the term but never displaces its basic meaning of covering.

>> the agreement/covenant between non-jews and god has always been in
>> place. what is called christianity is the continuation of that
>> agreement.
>
>According to Christians, anyway.  According to the Old Testament, there

>was never any formal agreement except God's promise to Noah that there
>would never again be a world-destroying flood.

isaish quoted god as saying "my house shall be called a house of prayer
for all nations".
that is a pretty clear that the agreement given to abraham and defined
by the law is applicable to goyim also.
but look also at rahab, ruth, naaman, nebuchanezzar (sic), the sailors
in jonah, ninevah: all gentiles.
and look at abram/abraham, issac, jacob/israel: they lived before the
agreement given through moses and cannot be rightly called jews (any
more than david can be called a christian).
and look to zechariah's promise of the goyim joining israel in worship
of good.
and look to the psalms: 67: all the nations will worship god

This message originates from Jewelry Television (TM) . The message and any
file transmitted with it is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is
intended only for the addressee named above. Any disclosure, distribution,
copying or use of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient,
regardless of address or routing, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete
the original message. Personal messages express views solely of the sender and
are not attributable to Jewelry Television (TM).