[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Nov 9 14:01:55 CST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:56:50PM -0600, doctor obnox son of a bitch wrote:
> Phil Stracchino spoke in riddles, like the night...
> > I think it's context-dependent, as your terrorism example points out.  I
> > have absolutely no problem with the idea of killing someone who's
> > attempting to kill me or one of my family, say, or burn my house down,
> > or who plans to conquer my country and enslave the population.
>
> And do people have a right to kill YOU, if you're the one doing the killing,
> nurning, conquering or enslaving?

Frankly, yeah, I think they have a right to try their damnedest.

> > For example:  The Old Testament, commonly regarded as the more barbaric
> > and bloody part of the Bible, says (or is almost universally
> > mistranslated as saying) "Thou shalt not kill."  But it also says, "Thou
> > shalt not suffer a well-poisoner to live" ('witch' is a mistranslation),
> > and "If a man comes to kill you, then rise up and kill him."
>
> "An eye for an eye" was actually more humane than the policy which preceded it,
> namely "Kill the men, raze the village, rape the women, sell the children for
> an eye"

Absolutely.  Notice I said "commonly regarded".  Personally, I think in
many ways it made more sense than much of the New Testament.

("...But save the sheep!")

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net