[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

doctor obnox son of a bitch drobnox at visi.com
Tue Nov 9 12:56:50 CST 2004

Phil Stracchino spoke in riddles, like the night...

> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:43:25AM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> > Morals seem clear cut and black and white, but when you put it in
> > context, I think it's never simplistic.  For instance, I doubt that
> > anyone would argue that killing is "morally" acceptable.  But when you
> > frame the discussion in the context of say, chasing down terrorists in
> > another sovereign nation, the ground becomes a little less clear-cut.
>
> I think it's context-dependent, as your terrorism example points out.  I
> have absolutely no problem with the idea of killing someone who's
> attempting to kill me or one of my family, say, or burn my house down,
> or who plans to conquer my country and enslave the population.

And do people have a right to kill YOU, if you're the one doing the killing,
nurning, conquering or enslaving?

> For example:  The Old Testament, commonly regarded as the more barbaric
> and bloody part of the Bible, says (or is almost universally
> mistranslated as saying) "Thou shalt not kill."  But it also says, "Thou
> shalt not suffer a well-poisoner to live" ('witch' is a mistranslation),
> and "If a man comes to kill you, then rise up and kill him."

"An eye for an eye" was actually more humane than the policy which preceded it,
namely "Kill the men, raze the village, rape the women, sell the children for
an eye"

--
"An official at the Moroccan Embassy could    ........Eric J. Gustafson
      not confirm the presence of             .........................
 monkeys in the coalition of the willing."    .........drobnox at visi.com