[geeks] Recommendations for DSL router?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Nov 4 18:00:24 CST 2004

Michael-John Turner wrote:

>Urgh, that's what I meant :)  s/router/"modem"/ (or whatever the correct
>name is for a DSL PPPoE device).
>
>The ones that our local telco provides are pretty expensive and
>feature-less, hence my search.

They're pretty basic.  All of the ones that i've worked with just work
when they're plugged in.  The one that SBC gave me (SpeedStream) looked
like a cheap piece of plastic crap, and the power cable didn't fit
snugly in it, but it worked fine for the year that i used it.  I
replaced it just this week because i got one that looks a little nicer
that was going to be thrown away (Westell).  It came from a Verizon DSL
installation.  No reason for replacing the one i had other than looks.
The one that Sprint (Zyxel, i think) gave me, and my parents still use
is much nicer looking, has more status LED's, and has a serial console
port.  It's very nice, but really, it does the exact same job just as
well as the other two.  I think Cisco makes one, it probably doesn't
suck too bad.

    -Dan Sikorski