[geeks] Recommendations for DSL router?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 2 09:29:23 CST 2004

> From: Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
> Date: 2004/11/02 Tue AM 08:40:47 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Recommendations for DSL router?
>
> Hi
>
> I'm looking at moving from dial-up to DSL  - does anyone have a DSL
> router they can recommend? I don't need any extras like a built-in
> switch, etc although wireless access point functionality would be a
> nice-to-have. I'll be using a FreeBSD box as a firewall.

The Linksys BEFWS41 (Dunno, not going to look it up, their basic 802.11b cable/DSL router) ALWAYS worked good for me, and they are on ebay for around $20-30.

I suspect any of the known vendors (Netgear, Linksys, others) equipment is good, and 802.11b is VERY affordable - take a look at the following links to find some nice deals on "after rebate" offers:

http://www.spoofee.com/

http://www.hot-deals.org/

http://www.techbargains.com/

I noticed a few $20-40 offers with PC cards and access point/routers from Linksys and Netgear.

Hope this helps,

Lionel