[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Mar 29 16:57:03 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:26:16PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:39:37 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:19:45PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > > rocks at the US ... the same thing is happening in the UK.
> >
> > From what I hear, it's happening faster in the UK than here.  My
>
> Could be, although we haven't hurriedly constructed something as large
> and sinister as the Department of Homeland Security (is it just me, or
> does that name strike anyone as something that might exist in 1930's
> Germany?). On the other hand the Home Secretary has acquired some
> disturbing powers recently.

In that context, allow me to point out the following article:

http://alt.venus.co.uk/weed/current/hartman1.htm

There are scary parallels.

> > bleak stories to tell when he came back.  He said, "The England I grew
> > up in and loved is dead."
>
> The bleak stories would make a difference, although most older people
> prefer things the way they were when they were younger. It's easy to
> overlook aspects of the past ... for instance your dad sounds old enough
> to remember food rationing which was pretty grim for those who normally
> could afford a better lifestyle (although it's worth remembering that
> the miserly rations actually improved the diet of many of the poorest).

Yup, he was born in 1935, grew up during the war, and got an arms-length
view once of a V1 that came crashing through a landing window and slid
down the stairs in front of him, but failed to detonate.  (Shortly
afterward, he was evacuated to Somerset.)

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :